I love a great sports movie, my wife laughs because I still shed a tear every time I watch Rudy. "Forever Strong" is not the greatest movie I have ever seen but I absolutely loved it because of the priciples found within.
If you look at my blog about "Coaching Pilosophies" you'll see I talk a lot about the difference between strategy and philosophy. "Forever Strong" is a prime example of these differences. Larry Gelwix is the head coach of the Highlands High Rugby team and throught out the film you see how he takes a personal interest in each one of his players. His goal is to not only build a winning team but to build character in each one of his players. In contrast one of Gelwix's opponents Richard Penning is all about x's and o's, strategy, and numbers.
I would recommend this film to all those who are coaching or looking to coach. We have a great opportunity to influence our players and shape their lives. Though my words may not be very convincing Gelwix's record is. In his 33 years of coaching at Highland he has won 379 games and lost only 9.
To watch the trailer click here:
Sunday, July 19, 2009
Forever Strong
Posted by COACHE'S BREW at 6:35 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment