CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Coaching Philosophy

Recently I have been taking a look at my own coaching philosophy and I found it interesting to compare it with philosophies of other coaches that I could find online. First of all there seems to be some confusion between the deffinition of philosophy and strategy.

Philosophy: The rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct. (Dictionary.com)

Strategy: A plan, method, or series of maneuvers or stratagems for obtaining a specific goal or result. (Dictionary.com)

Too many times while I was researching "philosophies" did I find something that resembled a strategy. I am convinced that to be successful in coaching it will take more than strategy, it will require an understanding of how to influence our players. I found it well put by Mike Singletary in this article on Suite 101.com when he said "If anyone would ask me what coaching really means, it's not really about winning. It's not really about Xs and Os. All of those things go into it, but it's about influence." Another quote from the article is "And the truly great coaches know how to influence not only the plays that are called on the field, but the minds and hearts of the players executing those plays."

Take a look at your coaching "philosophy" (if you have one, if you don't, work on one!) and make sure it doesn't get lost in strategy.
Here are some links that offer good advice on coaching philosophies:

"If you don’t have a distinct philosophy, then you haven’t decided what’s important to you. And if you don’t know what’s important then you won’t be able to tell your coaches or athletes what’s important. If they don’t know what your philosophy is, then they can’t be held accountable when they screw it up."- Pete Carroll (Sports Performance Coaching)

0 comments: