CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 22, 2009

Fitzgerald-ism

More and more today we see players trying to outdo each other not with level of skill but with end zone dances, trash talk, and show boatin'. Its tainting the image of our American sport. Take Terrell Owens for example, a great receiver and competitor but he can not let a game pass with out making headlines in an obnoxious way. Then there's Chad Johnson who has recently changed his name to Chad "Ocho- Cinco" in honor of his glorious number, who is also a great receiver.
In contrast one of the best players in the league Larry Fitzgerald does his talking with his undeniably reliable play. I can remember when I first watched Fitzgerald play when he was at the University of Pittsburgh. Initially I was impressed with his ability to catch anything that came near him but what struck me the most and has stayed with me through out the years was his conduct in between plays. I noticed that he would run quickly to and from the huddle. Upon finishing a play, no matter how big or small, he would promptly run to the nearest official and hand him the ball. There was never any talking or dancing, just classy, professional, competition.
Let us promote and exemplify this Fitzgerald-ism to our players that we may restore class through the old saying "Do your talking with your actions".

0 comments: